Sunday, February 10, 2008

Mobile Marketing

So, there I was... Watching the evening news when my phone rang in a manner that alerted me to a new text message. I picked up my phone to read the new message and found that it was a marketing message from my cell phone service provider! Although the message stated that I had received the message at no charge, it brought to light the potential for marketers to reach individuals via a cell phone; rather than the traditional method of a land based phone line.

There are significant differences between the two forms of marketing contact, most notably the cost. However, there are other differences which make marketing via the cell phone much more invasive and iritating. The first of these reasons is that people who own cell phones typically have them on or near them at all times. This means that the likely hood for interuption is that much greater. Telemarketers or other such persons can and do call the house phone at all times of the day, but I am typically only there for 5 hrs per day.

The second frustrating issue regarding mobile text message marketing is the inconvenince of having to acknowledge the mear presence of a call or new message. In church, at work, during a doctors appointment, or another otherwise inconvenient moment make this form of marketing a irritation to say the least.

Potentially, if there were a way to segment a day part that would be a known marketing time and also be provided at no-cost to the user, then I think that this form of marketing could have great potential. However, until this form of scheduling occurs, I believe that this is a media form that is best left alone. That is,.. for the overall reputation of the brand or product.

Thoughts?

No comments: